Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Google Chrome Is Out!


Google released its browser today, Google Chrome. Its only available for windows currently, but mac and linux versions are apparently being developed. Now, I don't run windows because I don't want/need to. Using it at work is enough for my tastes. So, in the mean time, I'm running vmware fusion to emulate xp sp2. The nice thing about fusion is that it features "unity mode" which allows you to interact with windows applications as if they were running natively in os x.

I've been using chrome for about and hour and it seems pretty tight for a beta release. I've encountered a little weirdness with getting certain pages not loading properly (imdb, wikipedia-both of which I use constantly), but that's potentially because of the software emulation, not necessarily the browser. 

Although its quite impressive that google was able keep this under wraps until the day before it was released. Its a bit difficult to make an accurate comparison to Firefox 3, but at this point it would be hard to get me to switch from using firefox as my full time browser. Safari 3 is marginally faster than firefox at certain things (although I've never found them), but that hasn't converted me yet. I'll just have to see the benchmarks when they come out. 79 on the acid 3 test is pretty impressive! 

Hands down it'll be nice to see how Chrome will improve during the beta cycle.

On a personal note, I've been ridiculously busy working on Kris Koester's shoot this past week. Things have been going smoothely & I've definitely learned a ton being best boy grip. The downside is that I'm incredibly exhausted. Not tired, because I haven't been sleeping well, but just worn out from flipping my bodyclock on its head for 36 hours. On a the upside, the shoot is nearly halfway done. Here's a picture from the set this morning.

Hopefully I'll be able to post the trailer when its up (possibly the whole thing). Its a pretty good script, and the crew, cast and camera (courtesy of Uptown6) are all fantastic. 

No comments: