Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Flock Makes Me Feel like I'm Cheating On FireFox



Flock is a newish browser based on Firefox 3 that has a plethora of social networking and web 2.0 tools integrated right into the browser. With feature rich extensions for sites like Facebook, Myspace, Twitter and Flickr, Flock attempts to reshape the web browsing experience with new layers of functionality. By taking advatage of the various APIs, Flock delivers social networking like status updates and photo uploading without having to browse directly to the site. Using the good ole sidebar and a spiffy media stream pane that appears above your tabs, I've got to give it to Flock for taking a new approach for using the internet.

There are a couple of things that bother me though. First, I've gotten so used to the minimalist Firefox theme in OS X that the bright colored buttons and generally shinyness are a bit distracting. Second, I couldnt get the Digg functionality to work, but admittedly I gave up when it didn't work automatically like everything else did. Other than that, Flock seems very well packaged, and could definitely displace Firefox for a good deal of my daily browsing.

Also, Flock includes a great RSS aggregator and a pretty decent blog editor (which I happen to be using), which are both something that you can incorporate into Firefox with a good deal more custimaztion.

Overall, this is a browser that has a lot of potential and can hopefully inform some future upstream development in Firefox. I'm definitely sticking with Firefox as my go-to browser because Flock seems a bit distracted by all of its features at times. It's great for anyone that relies on a social networking addiction to get through their work week.

Oh and the branding on their website is lame :P

No comments: